[CQ-Contest] Re: CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 3, Issue 13

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Mar 10 21:42:41 EST 2003

>I am K8KHZ. I have thought about changing it again to another call area or something with a better prefix. something that might catch the ear of others. But is it all worth it at all? What is your thought on this.

When the FCC re-opened pick a call there were endless discussions on
this reflector about what letters were good to have in a suffix and
those that definitely were NOT!  e,i,s and h were poor choices to anyone
who operates CW seriously.... and letter s with really good phonetics
for SSB operators were a plus - letters like "X-Ray" which were
unquestionably unique

I spent years after I moved to Florida still holding my K1 callsign... I
do believe there is an advantage to having a call which relates to your
location....

When the FCC re-opened the opportunity to pick a call I got my 4 call...
I was not going to give up my 1X2 for a 2X2 - no way!

I think the main reason I feel that callsign relating to location is
important is the "obvious" one - if I am making an ESP level QSO with a
guy who is K8KHZ my mind automatically starts listening for MI OH or WV,
it is instinctive with me - of course when something that don't sound
like one of the above is heard and I really have to figure out the guys
location "from scratch" the first thing I think is how I wish he had a
call in the right call area!

Others will argue this is NOT important and guys like K1TO, who won the
SS form the 4th call area are among them... but... I still think having
a "regionally correct" call is a help.

73,

Jim, K4OJ

heah - only 47 days until the Florida QSO Party!