[CQ-Contest] Re: Callsign Advantages

John Warren nt5c at texas.net
Mon Mar 10 23:07:39 EST 2003

Hans K0HB wrote:

>For voice contesting, try to think of something with strong
>phonetics.  Some phonetics like bravo, alfa, and papa seem to be
>"soft" sounding, while tango, zulu, mike, and kilo seem have a
>"presence" which stands above the noise.

Interesting. The letter in my NT5C callsign which needs the most
repeats (or alternate phonetics) is T Tango. Most common error is to
hear it as Echo.
Also consider the number of syllables in each standard phonetic. N
No-vem-ber is bad in that respect. I tend to use Nan-cy (European?),
but I wish my callsign started K Ki-lo. Overall though, a 2x1 call is
very nice for the WPX contest.

If you're also a DXer, consider a 1-district  callsign. They always
get called first, and you might even sneak two shots: KW1C, and
KW1C/8, or whatever.

John, NT5C.