[CQ-Contest] callsign advantages

John Unger w4au at contesting.com
Wed Mar 12 08:43:58 EST 2003

It has been mentioned in passing, but for CW I believe that the "rhythm" of
a callsign, especially the suffix, has a lot to do with having it being
easy to remember and therefore picked out and copied correctly under less
than optimum conditions.

When I was considering a new call after 40 years of W3GOI (starting out as
WN3GOI, of course), I played the possible calls both with the keyer and in
my head in CW over and over. W4AU sounded good to my ear and, I hoped to
others'. Also, since W3AU was not on the air as much as in past years, I
figured there wouldn't be too much confusion there!

Of course, the "alpha uniform" phonetics are not all that hot, but I have a
hard time finding my mike most of the time anyway...

So far as matching your region and callsign number, it's not a big problem
until you try something like a state QSO party...

John, W4AU