[CQ-Contest] Callsign Advantages

David A. Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Thu Mar 13 16:52:29 EST 2003

I for one wish Brian would get a correct callsign, because acccording to
every accepted portable callsign convention I've ever seen, his call should
be interpreted as a VY3, of which there is no such thing.

Also, I am one of the logcheckers for the ARRL 10 and 160 contests, and
while our logchecking software handles Brian's callsign just fine (because
we strip off the /3 since it has no effect on scoring) I've seen some
pretty wierd interpretations of it, probably due to the contortions
necessary with some logging software to parse it correctly.  And sometimes,
the QSO get's scored as a bust, or perhaps even a NIL as a result.

A bust hurts the station Brian works, while the NIL hurts Brian.  While I
would grant Brian the right to sign whatever his government allows (have
you ever asked?) I would suggest that he would be doing the contest
community a favor to get a callsign which accepted conventions will
interpret correctly.  I have no trouble working him, and probably all of
the serious contesters don't either.  However, I'll bet there are a lot of
low to middle experience contesters using general or simple logging
programs who get confused, or can't make things come out right.

Just an observation.  Uniqueness is not always a good thing when it's
carried to non-conformity.

73,

Dave/K8CC