[CQ-Contest] receiver evaluations

al_lorona at agilent.com al_lorona at agilent.com
Wed Mar 19 11:39:07 EST 2003

One more thought...

The NPR test applies best when the interfering signals are on all the time, all at the same time. This would be the case in, for example, a cable TV system, or a satellite downlink system. That's what the notched noise is trying to replicate.

In a ham receiver, the interfering signals aren't usually on 100% of the time (in other words they have a duty cycle less than 100%), and they aren't usually packed solid across a band-- although a crowded contest is the closest we come to that condition. Therefore, the NPR test would really be a much-worse-than-worst-case test, and we would probably be appalled by the measurement results of our receivers.

The NPR signal really re-creates the conditions that we would have if every ham in the world picked a different frequency on 20 meters (except for 14.025 MHz) and then went key down for 60 seconds while you tried to listen for a weak signal on 14.025 MHz. Can you imagine? Not very realistic.

Regards,

Al  W6LX