[CQ-Contest] Noise in the Shack

Jim Reisert AD1C jjreisert at alum.mit.edu
Sat Mar 29 20:35:57 EST 2003

Hi Ken,

I went through the same thing this winter after reading a number of
articles on the Internet.  Here's what I did (all shopping done on the web):

- replaced all those noisy case fans, power supply fans and CPU coolers with
   parts from PC Power and Cooling.  Make sure to get the ultra-quiet stuff.

- replaced the hard drive in my office computer with a Seagate Barracuda IV,
   very quiet.  Intel Application Accelerator let's you switch between maximum
   performance and maximum quiet.  I set them for maximum performance
   and they're still darned quiet.  They're so quiet, in fact, that I
installed two
   with one dedicated just to backups. I got mine from GoogleGear.

- replaced the video card with a GeForce 4 MX440SE (I think that's the right
   model).  It's one of the entry-level GeForce 4 boards, but has a passive
heatsink,
   not a fan-cooled GPU.  You can get one from Tiger Direct right now for
$29.99.

- (optional) replace those flat IDE/floppy cables with rounded ones.  The
quieter fans
   generally have *less* airflow, so it's nice to improve the airflow in
other areas.  I got
   some from CompUSA (expensive) but recently got a set from Tiger Direct
for $0.00
   after $20 mail-in rebate.

My office PC is really quiet now.  I just need to tame the shack PC. You
can check latest prices on PriceWatch.com.  You can also look at the stuff
on http://www.xpcgear.com/

73 - Jim AD1C

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com
PGP Fingerprint: D8E2 3D78 339F A7F1 8C13  1193 B5D1 4FB6 79D1 70DC