[CQ-Contest] Re: [RTTY] Fun with ADIF

Carter Grabarczyk k8vt at ameritech.net
Thu May 8 09:12:35 EDT 2003

Bill Turner wrote:

> Over the years I have imported a lot of contest QSOs where the QTH was
> part of the exchange.  To import the contest log into the regular
> station log I use the ADIF format.  One problem is that some contests
> categorize a state as a QTH and not a state, which will cause you to
> not get credit for that state in your regular log.
>
> That can be fixed using ADIF, either before importing the contest log,
> or (miracle of miracles) even after you have already imported it!
> Here's a brief summary of how.
>
> ADIF classifies each log entry using the format explained at
> http://www.hosenose.com/adif/adif.html  For a state, the correct
> format is <STATE:2> followed by the state abbreviation.  For example:
> <STATE:2>CA.  Where things go wrong is when the contest logging
> programs exports it as <QTH:2>CA.  This is NOT a bug in the contest
> program; it's just that the contest does not discriminate between QTHs
> that are states, provinces, countries or whatever.
>
> With me so far?  If the QSOs are already in your regular log, export
> them to an ADIF file and do the following procedure.  If you haven't
> imported them yet, just to the procedure on the to-be-imported file.
>
> The way to fix errors is to use the find and replace function in your
> text editor.  Just find <QTH:2>CA and replace it with <STATE:2>CA.
> You have to do this 50 times unfortunately, once for each state, but
> it doesn't take all that long.  Perhaps someone could write a script
> that would do this in one fell swoop?

Bill,

Good tip and thanks for publishing it. I've done this numerous times
when taking Writelog files and moving them into DX4Win. However, you are
being waaaaay too hard on yourself. You do *NOT* have to do this 50 times.

I use Wordpad's (Notepad will work if the file is not too big, but why
bother-just start with Wordpad) "Find and Replace" function to "find"
all instances of <QTH:2> and "replace" with <STATE:2>. Period. The end.
DO NOT include the state abbreviation or you will have to do it 50
times. A nice, even once is all it takes....

73/Carter/K8VT