[CQ-Contest] TenTec Orion questions regarding SO2R suitability

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Thu May 8 13:46:15 EDT 2003

Hi Eric!

         I'm not an Orion user but soon will be (June?).

K3NA wrote:

 >POTENTIAL PROBLEM #1:
 >
 >Can an Orion user clarify if any receiver continues to operate while
transmitting?

         Orion is not SO2R in a box...neither is any other radio.  Yes,
both receivers are muted while transmitting.

 >POTENTIAL PROBLEM #2:
 >
 >Does anyone have better specs for the sub-receiver?

         The sub-receiver is probably closest to Ten Tec's Jupiter,
but unfortunately ARRL's test in June 2001 was the month before
they started doing 5 kHz measurements.  Performance is most likely similar
to other DSP radios using wide (12-15 kHz) roofing filters.

http://www2.arrl.org/members-only/prodrev/pdf/pr0106.pdf

Close In IMD Dynamic Range at 5 kHz Signal Spacing
(ARRL Lab Results, Preamp off on 20M, 500 Hz BW)

Radio                         IMDDR3

Ten-Tec Orion                  101*
Elecraft K2                     88
Ten-Tec Omni 6+                 86
Yaesu FT-1000MP                 83
ICOM IC-756 Pro                 80
Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark V          78
ICOM IC-775DSP                  77
ICOM IC-756 Pro II              76
ICOM IC-706 MkII G              74
Yaesu FT-1000MP Field           73
Kenwood TS-570D                 72
Kenwood TS-2000                 69
ICOM IC-756                     67

*Ten-Tec spec not yet verified by ARRL.

         In comparing prices, keep in mind that Orion at $3300
may need only one optional filter (500 Hz).  Orion's standard
roofing filters (6000, 2400 and 1000) in combination with
3rd IF DSP probably yield better performance than other radios
(using typical 12-15 kHz roofing filters) which have a FULL
complement of dual-cascaded filters.  The only reason I'm
ordering Inrad's 400 Hz filter is to hopefully get IMDDR3
performance close to the above at signal spacings UNDER 1
kHz (for 160 mainly).

         I believe you missed the objective thinking it was SO2R.
That objective would have had an extremely limited market and
was never the goal.  From Doug Smith's site, the goal was:

"certain innovations and a level of performance previously unattained by
any HF Amateur Radio transceiver, bar none."

http://www.doug-smith.net/orion.htm

I'm sure we'll all know more after ARRL does their tests!

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV