[CQ-Contest] SO2R Orion - 4 bands at once? 4 amps? Hoy!

Dick Green dick.green at valley.net
Fri May 9 02:03:20 EDT 2003

Scott,

I think the ORION is a remarkable achievement, and completely understand
Ten-Tec's decision not to build a very expensive radio for the exceedingly
small number of SO2R ops in the market. However, I find the following
verbatim quote from Ten-Tec's website *very* misleading:

'"Instant Two Radio Mode" allows ORION to instantly QSY between two
different bands. Two linear amplifiers, two sets of accessory devices via
dual band data outputs and two antennas can optionally be connected to ORION
to allow instantaneous QSY (useful for seeking out and working stations on
one band during a contest while CQing on a different band, for example).'

If that's not a description of SO2R, I don't know what is (and I do quite a
bit of SO2R myself.) If both receivers are muted during transmit, I don't
see how you can say that the radio will let you seek out stations (i.e.,
receive them) on one band while CQing (i.e., transmitting) on another band.

I suppose I was naïve and did not really stop to consider the cost of
actually building SO2R into one box, but after reading the above paragraph I
definitely assumed that this was a major feature of the ORION. Obviously,
I'm not the only person who thought so. I even went so far as to inquire of
Writelog's author whether he would support automatic SO2R switching for the
ORION (i.e., use rig control commands for TX and audio switching instead of
flipping bits on the LPT port.) He also would have had to modify Writelog's
rig control code to deal with two "rigs" over one COM port. All that is
certainly possible with ORION's robust command set, but useless if both
receivers are muted during transmit.

Anyway, I suggest you reword the paragraph to be less misleading. I would
not use the term "Two Radio Mode". That's just too close to Single-OP Two
Radio, especially when used in the same paragraph with the word "contest".
Also, I would leave out the entire phrase in parens at the end of the
paragraph. Unless you want to rely on the slim technicality that you can
hear between CQs (or code elements with full break-in), the claim is simply
not true.

73, Dick WC1M