[CQ-Contest] TenTec Orion questions regarding SO2R suitability

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Fri May 9 08:55:29 EDT 2003

AA4LR wrote:
 >Whoever is the first manufacturer to pack two quality receivers and one
transmitter into a single box will sell a ton of them.

         I would change that statement to:

"Whoever is the first manufacturer to pack ONE QUALITY RECEIVER AND
TRANSMITTER into a single box will sell a ton of them."

...and I personally believe Ten Tec's Orion is it!

         Isn't it a shame most manufacturers forgot the performance
of the Drake C-line with Sherwood roofing filters (a 70's era product)
and got enamored with general coverage receive, FM, 100 memory channels,
color displays and a lot of of other unnecessary whistles and bells.

         This has what lead us to:

synthesizers (with attendant poor phase noise)
15 kHz roofing filters (with terrible IMDDR3, BDR, etc.)
clicks (simple inattention to detail)

...and just crummy performance in general...and we let them get away
with it!

         If you haven't read some of Doug Smith's articles, check out:

<http://www.doug-smith.net/orion.htm>http://www.doug-smith.net/orion.htm
http://www.doug-smith.net/dspdynamics.htm
<http://www.doug-smith.net/digitalagc.htm>http://www.doug-smith.net/digitalagc.htm

http://www.doug-smith.net/cwbandwidth1.htm

I feel a very big KUDOS is in order to Ten Tec for refocusing the market
on basic performance.  Hopefully the competition is listening.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV