[CQ-Contest] More on Orion de W4PA

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Fri May 9 12:26:26 EDT 2003

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 08:20:46AM -0700, Scott R. wrote:

> >I find the following verbatim quote from Ten-Tec's website *very* >
> >misleading:
>
> >'"Instant Two Radio Mode" allows ORION to instantly QSY between two
> >different bands. Two linear amplifiers, two sets of accessory devices
> >via dual band data outputs and two antennas can optionally be
> >connected to ORION to allow instantaneous QSY (useful for seeking out
> >and working stations on one band during a contest while CQing on a
> >different band, for example).'
>
> >If that's not a description of SO2R, I don't know what is (and I do
> >quite a bit of SO2R myself.) If both receivers are muted during
> >transmit, I don't see how you can say that the radio will let you seek
> >out stations (i.e., receive them) on one band while CQing (i.e.,
> >transmitting) on another band.

I agree.  I've only barely dabbled in SO2R myself, and I think the quoted
paragraph is *very* misleading if both receivers mute on transmit.  The
whole point of having a second radio is to be able to listen to another
band _while transmitting_.

> Focusing on whether the opposite receiver mutes is losing sight of
> everything else this radio has for contesting, period (not just SO2R).

This doesn't change the fact that Ten-Tec marketing is promising a "two
radio mode" that doesn't really exist in the radio the way it is described.
Sorta makes me wonder what else there is to discover...

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops