[CQ-Contest] W3AU SK

KL7RA kl7ra at ptialaska.net
Mon May 12 13:56:23 EDT 2003

Losing Ed has to be hard on his contest team but it's tough for all of us.

I worked with W3AU while I was assigned to the East coast and he
would invite NASA's WA3NAN group over for a visit now and then.

Seeing that row of amps for me was like a deer in headlights. I told
him I was going to build amps like that for contesting someday and
he told me he was sure I would.

And I did, big 19 inch rack black ugly warthogs. I finally retired the
last one off 40 only a few years ago as it just doesn't make sense to
run them anymore with the small, quite, modern reliable amps
available now.

After he retired to Fla, Ed would call us in every contest and ask how
the amps were doing. I would say "just fine Ed". He would say "that's
good" and then always thank me for remembering him.

73 Rich KL7RA