[CQ-Contest] DX Box Scores in ARRL 160 Meter Contest (was RE: ARRL 160 Meter Scores?)

Jeff Maass jmaass at columbus.rr.com
Sat May 24 20:17:55 EDT 2003

I *knew* when I typed that line and mentioned QRP that I'd be
hearing from you, Pat!

My point is this: no one gets on during the ARRL 160m Contest
saying "Gee, it'll be a good chance to get a few new QRP stations
in the log". OTOH, more than a few of the "non-serious" W/VE
guys get on the air during the contest period explicitly looking for
a few new DX countries, and work other W/VE stations along the
way. More DX operators should be *encouraged* to participate!

It's just **wrong** that the  DX operators get no recognition in the
form of a "Top 5" or "Top 10" box, with certificates issued. It
belongs in both the QST summary and in the web coverage.

If the limited page-space in the QST summary needs to remain
constant, then given a choice between QRP #6 - 10 and
DX #1 - 5, the clearly correct answer is to publish a box with
the top DX participants. There is no particular reason why QRP
box listings should the "victim" of encouraging DX participation
(except that it's fun to get the QRPers riled up here on the Reflector
by invoking them by name!). A *better* solution is to list the "Top
10 DX" along with the "Top 10 QRP" and the other "Top 10"
boxes listed now.

As I've said before, I don't begrudge any operator who chooses
the challenge of operating QRP the opportunity to do that, so long
as the contest rules don't artificially inflate his score (as in the Stew
Perry) in an effort to make them "competitive" with higher-powered
stations. High power stations should be considered as competing
only against high power stations, and QRP stations should be
competing only against other QRP stations. ARRL 160m meets
this criteria by listing them separately.

Congratulations to K4WTF on his first contest, and his fine finish
among his QRP brethren! I also note that his expressed thrill was
working both KH6ND and ZF2NT, not working other QRP stations.

ZF2NT was the top DX (non-W/VE) station in the contest, but you
can't know that unless you've sorted through all the DX listings in
the fine-print line scores. Bruce quit the contest early because there
was no competitive incentive for him to continue.

It's just **wrong** that the  DX operators get no recognition in the
form of a "Top 5" or "Top 10" box in the ARRL 160 Meter Contest!.

73,
 Jeff Maass       jmaass at columbus.rr.com     Located near Columbus Ohio
         USPSA # L-1192       NROI/CRO    Amateur Radio K8ND
Maass' IPSC Resources:  http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/index.html
Circleville USPSA/IPSC: http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/pcsiipsc.htm