[CQ-Contest] self spotting vs other cheating

Spederson spederson at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 22:56:57 EDT 2003

All,

There's only one solution to verifying the identity of the sender -

We could use the same process that the ARRL implemented within their LOTW -
that of Public / Private key encryption.

 - You create a private key / public key combo.
 - You keep your private key, and submit your public key to the SYSOPS.
 - The sysops validate the key through email verification.
 - When you send a Spot, you digitally sign the data with your private key.
 - When the Sysops receive your spot, either through the Web, or Telnet or
RF, they must check the data against the public key CHECKSUM to validate it
was truly sent by you.
 - If there is a mismatch, the spot is deleted.  If it matches, the spot
goes through.

Only then will the originating station be authenticated.

Otherwise, there is no way to the sending address is valid.

73,
Scott - KI5DR