[CQ-Contest] Self Spotting - You May be a Victim

sawyered at earthlink.net sawyered at earthlink.net
Fri May 30 03:32:30 EDT 2003

If you want to get an idea of how wide spread the self spotting problem is,
do a search on DX Summit for your own call and check the "any column"
button.

DX Summit shows a spot by N1UR in the ARRL DX CW contest.  Interesting,
I've never spotted anyone in a contest because I am never connected.  The
occaisional time I do spot a DX Station during normal operating, I enter the
spot directly on the web, so an @ sign appears next to my call.  This one
had no @ sign.

I checked the spotted station and sure enough, I worked him on 80M cw 3
minutes before the spot appeared.  I guess he needed more action on 80M and
decided to self spot himself using my call after I worked him, simulating me
spotting him.  If you want to see who it was, do a search for N1UR and
you'll see.

This guy had over 100 spots in the contest and the spots are so consistent
(3 -5 an hour, every hour, I mean every hour) you can even tell when he
took a sleep break.

Amazing.....

Try your call, see what you find.

Ed  N1UR