[CQ-Contest] Re: Changing hobby

zl1aih at ihug.co.nz zl1aih at ihug.co.nz
Sat May 31 19:26:24 EDT 2003

Hi All
As an old contester, (but a newbie to SO2R) I still get a rush out of a 120+
per hour run when it happens - wish it happened more often <g>
The computer and TRlog and others eliminated the parallel dupe log/post-
contest penance that I remember well - my XYL reckons that log-checking
was worse than checking Commodore C-64 programs for typos!
I don't have packet, nor do I need it.   Why should I devote precious
contest time to chasing spots that some other station somewhere else can
hear/has worked when I can work only what I can hear, and can hear me.
Of course, it depends on the type of contest and the category entered - I
can't comment on any other than SOAB.

Bill W7TI - the challenge is still there - I'm still looking for my personal
best, and I 'm convinced  I can beat my last year's score.

Scott VE1OP - My K2 is #767 - I put it together before I realized it was up
there with the best receivers at any price.   Also, it was repairable by the
builder/owner.   The Elecraft support base is incomparable.
To achieve my SO2R setup, I'm ordering another K2.   I've built a
switchbox, and plan separate amplifiers for each band.
You'd be surprised just how many contesters use a K2 plus amp.
Heathkit was fun - Elecraft is elation!
73, Ken ZL1AIH