[CQ-Contest] Re: Disguised Packet Spots

Ken Adams K5KA k5ka at earthlink.net
Sat May 31 20:36:32 EDT 2003

At 11:43 AM 5/31/03 -0400, K1DG wrote:

>......... However, packet has become a crutch for too many
>operators, who find the "point-click-yell-ENTER" style of operating easier
>to learn than the skill-based "tune the band-find a station-copy the call
>myself (correctly)-time my call-make the QSO" method.

Doug makes an excellent point, and this is sometimes a risky
crutch to use.   I was the 80 meter operator at HC8N for the WPX SSB
contest this year.  I was operating transceive just above 3.800 most of
the time, as the USA had very good signals, but when the band opened
to Europe, I would announce that I was listening on 3.737.   It was sure
easy to tell when I had been spotted.   I was amazed at the number of
US stations that called me on 3.737.   There were more than 2 dozen and
several of those were not new callsigns.   A sure sign of "point,click,call".

Packet may be great for chasing DX, but we all still need to listen and
tune the bands.

73, Ken K5KA