[CQ-Contest] The "Check" in SS

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mb.sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 10 14:56:58 EST 2003

Hi all,

Funny, in the 20 years I've been doing SS, nobody has ever raised this issue
before.

Here's my guess why: it just doesn't really matter.

Why does ARRL specify the last two numbers of the licencing year? Because
they had to specify something (to keep the header-like format of the SS
exchange intact) and those two numbers were an easy fit. Are they really
interested in what year you were licensed? Of course not. The point of any
exchange isn't necessarily the validity of any one item, it's that it be
copied correctly. If that weren't the case, imagine how many times OJ would
be DQd from NAQP (what name you using next time, Jim?).

So, to me at least, the check thing is a three-step process:
1. Choose a check. (Yours, station owner's, club's, etc.)
2. Use it.
3. Don't worry about it.

Be that as it may, if you wish to make life harder than it needs to be, all
the power to you. The harder you make it on yourself, the easier it will be
for us to beat you.

73, kelly
ve4xt