[CQ-Contest] "Please copy my number"

Ed Parish K1EP k1ep at arrl.net
Mon Nov 17 20:00:30 EST 2003

At 11/17/03 03:41 PM, n4gi at tampabay.rr.com wrote:
>I've got a tortoise-like phoneSS rate-sucker to add:
>
>4) Using phonetics for the "middle" callsign in the exchange.  This practice can double the exchange time when working someone with a bigger callsign.  Obviously, if you've gotten this far, both parties probably should know who they're in the process of working, right?

I would agree to some extent, but there were times when I got the call wrong the first time and the exchange clarified it.  Having the phonetics helped.  Also, I used that part of the exchange as a fill if I only got a partial the first time around.  That saved time, because the person didn't have to spend time with the fill, they just gave it with the exchange.  And sometimes you just got so tired you forgot your own call and used the phonetics.  Phone SS  is very tiring.  I often find that people are more polite and thanking each other for the Q too, more like a FD exchange.  Things like "Thanks for West Central Florida" , "Oh, you are my first Illinois station" or "Good luck in the contest".