[CQ-Contest] new to contesting

Hanlon, Steve SHanlon at dnr.state.md.us
Tue Nov 18 08:39:34 EST 2003

As a new ham, contesting is an interesting side of the hobby/service.  I am currently only a Technician, but am working on upgrading to General in the next few weeks.  I worked the SS as a guest op at the local radio club and had a very good time.  The Sunday doldrums hit us very hard here in 3 land.  We could hear the sections on the west coast, but couldn't make contact.

I have already informed the XYL of my future contesting plans.  I have so much to learn... I should have jumped in this hobby/service 15 years ago when I was in my teens.  Stupid me thought ham radio was for geeks.  Guess I'm a geek now ;)

Any must read material out there for the budding contester?  I'm not looking to be a big gun, but rather be a big in the little gun world.

-Steve Hanlon
KB3KAQ