[CQ-Contest] new to contesting

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Tue Nov 18 08:51:57 EST 2003

Welcome to ham radio and contesting, Steve!

You can participate in the VHF contests as a Tech.  Depending on where you
are, they can be very slow-paced, but still a lot of fun. My favorite
entry category is "QRP-portable" (technically, now called "Single-Op
Portable"). A few times a year I manage to cram equipment for 9 or 10
bands into a Toyota Corolla and go to a hilltop to set it all up and
operate in these VHF/UHF contests. Being limited to 10 watts, I'm
definitely a "little pistol" but I have won my section a few times in that
category.

Note that you can use an FM radio for the VHF contests on simplex
frequencies but you'll get the most out them with an SSB/CW rig and a
horizontally-polarized beam.  And I've worked no-code Techs who were
getting their feet wet on CW in these contests.  Most people will slow
down to make a QSO.

Have fun and I hope to work you.

73, Zack W9SZ