[CQ-Contest] Getting back into contesting

Ron Notarius WN3VAW wn3vaw at fyi.net
Tue Nov 18 21:04:18 EST 2003

Rusty,

A year ago, you would have been fine with the latest/last version of CT 6,
which was available free for the download (but basically no longer
supported) on your 286.

However, several months ago CT 9 (the current release level) also became
available free for the download.  I don't recall if it would work on a
286 -- and if you stick with the DOS version, it might -- but frankly, with
the availability of low-end Pentium I class machines (close to free for the
asking from many sources), I'd suggest coming up with one of these and
putting CT 9 on it.  (In fact, I have a P133 just sitting here, and if you
lived nearby I'd just give it to you, but it's not even worth the cost of
shipping.  And besides, unless your 286 has a VGA card & monitor, you'd have
to come up with a monitor for it).  Even better, see if you can get your
hands on a low-end Pentium laptop; takes up less real estate and it's more
portable too.

Since you're already familiar with CT, and there's no longer a cost
associated with it, I'd suggest sticking with it.  There are a lot of good
programs out there, some free, some not, some DOS only, some Windows only,
some with options for both (Log-EQF/Win-EQF, WriteLog, NA, TR, N1MM, N3FJP,
and many more) which you could and should check into at your leisure, but
for now, stick with what you know.

Any "modern" (ie recent) program should support Cabrillo output.  This is
now standard for ARRL contest electronic submissions and is becoming so for
many others.  ADIF output is also popular in some circles.  This also makes
uploading logs to the online logbook services (Logbook of the World and eQSL
come to mind) easier, should you so desire, since they accept one or the
other or both formats.

You will probably also notice that you're not going to see much of a
consensus amongst the many comments you will receive.  Such is life in the
contesting world!

Welcome back, and good luck!

73, ron wn3vaw

"People hear what they want to hear,