[CQ-Contest] Number, Check, etc

Chuck k3ft at erols.com
Tue Nov 18 23:53:21 EST 2003

What I found, after almost 1500 Q's at N3OC where I opped SSB SS was that
the most effective method was to transmit MY exchange with a measured
cadence, slow and measured, with pauses in a couple spots.

It went something like this. (assume I sent it to W3PP. My number is 1529,
Prec M, N3OC, 73, MD'

I sent it like this

In a measured patient cadence with attempt to maintain even voice level.

'W-3-P-P---copy---one--five--two--nine-(pause)--Mike (or
Mexico)---EN-THREE-OSCAR-CHARLIE-(pause)--seven--three----Mike--Delta"

Very rarely would I get a request for a fill UNLESS it was due to QRM, the
receivers fingers slipping and making the computer glitch or some factor
like that.

It saved a LOT of time.  I repeated the numbers as single digits ALWAYS. The
'COPY' seemed to help because it gave the guy TIME to synchronize his
fingers/ brain/ keyboard to be ready to copy the exchange.  The pauses
allowed his brain/fingers to be OK on the keyboard and allowed a few
milliseconds to look and process to make sure all was OK.

Your mileage may vary, but that technique worked VERY WELL for the entire
contest.

73

Chuck K3FT