[CQ-Contest] to KP4 or not KP4

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Nov 22 22:36:30 EST 2003

More recently, may I remind you all that K1TO won SS CW from lowly South
Florida, edging out KE3Q at WP3R... seem to remember in the process he
set a QSO record there, too!

The "just go to KP4 if you wanna win SS thing" is a bit overplayed -
seem to remember seeing it on this reflector several times over the
years... sure, you will get a spot in the top ten even if you are a
marginal operator - but - you are not guaranteed a win...

The excellent article by K4VX years ago about the operator who has
prepared for that one special weekend when he has the propagation
advantage sticks with me - we have all experienced times when we have
beat out a KC1XX in a pileup, even though we have less hardware than
Matt's aqwesome station does - are those not the sweetest types of
contesting moments?  To me that is the one positive of packet in DX
contests - all the big gun multis land on a fresh meat Sunday spot and
it is a momentary DXpedition pileup - perhaps this a measuring stick
thing but it is joyous getting in and out before the mega stacks.

When that shot comes and you are in the catbird seat it will not just be
that you have propagation alone - because your competitor knows the
tricks of the trade to equalize the offsetting problem or at least
minimize it...

If you have focus and studied you will make the best of your sitiuation
and ya know - you might win...  If you are just someone who talks or
sends fast and is in an advantageous QTH you have no guarantee of
winning, don't think so?  Ask the OH group who sent container loads of
hardware to PJ9 and did not win the world!

Being the rare KP4 who everyone needs with that excellent signal form
the WP3R station must be sweet - I am sure there are several here on
this reflector who could have thier arms twisted to pilot it for SS,
myself included!  BUT - if I were to go there I sure as hell would do my
homework first!

Contesting is more than having a big station and a fast talking/sending
operator... or, has someone not been following WRTC :-)

Besides, ain't the more interesting phone battle the one for second
place in SS SSB this year?

Any CW contests coming up?

K4OJ