[CQ-Contest] Contesting Computer

Denny Sahovic radio at kx7m.net
Mon Nov 24 11:44:36 EST 2003

My suggestion may not be appealing to you, but here are my $0.02

Upgrade your PC to whatever you thing will be enough for Windows (XP, 2K,
9x) applications. Since you will be running DOS contesting software, the
best is to create multiboot environment: DOS 6.22, Win98, and/or Win2K-XP.
You can do it on a single hard-drive, or on multiple hard-drives: Here is a
good link to help you with multiboot setup:

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue47/deblende.html

On a local fleamarkets there are tons of $5 items: ISA SoundBlaster cards,
ISA com-ports cards, etc. Make sure that your "new" motherboard has enough
room for all gadgets, since your all-in-one machine will have a lot of them.

So, when you use PC to read e-mail, browse the web, etc., select XP or 2K on
the boottime. When you run Radio stuff (CW, SSB, RTTY,...) select pure DOS
or DOS window in Win98, and your ISA cards should be recognized easily by
DOS.

73, Denny, KX7M