[CQ-Contest] Contesting Computer

K4SB k4sb at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 25 17:32:52 EST 2003

> > allow me to have at least 3 serial ports and run DOS loggers CT and
> > Hyperlog in 'real' DOS environments.
Motherboard must have one ISA slot. It can still be done.
Byterunner 4 com port ISA Board, uses one shared IRQ.
-------------------
 Bob Naumann - N5NJ wrote
> Not in CT it won't.
> CT still requires unique IRQ's.
-----------------------------------
Bob is quite correct.

OK, let's reconfigure the machine. There are numerous PCI 2 serial
port cards which may be added with selectable IRQs. In fact, I have an
old ISA card which has 4 ports on it which may all be
enabled/disabled, and all have selectable IRQs. ( thing even has a
floppy controller, 2 HD controlers, and another LPT on it ) Again, all
may be enabled or disabled.

Let's assume LPT1 on IRQ 7 is used for keying. IRQs 5, 10, and 11 and
12 ( and probably 9 ) should be available by simply editing the
autoexec.bat and config.sys files to remove any references to the
sound card, mouse, and any other "special function" cards. Even if we
assume a modem connected to a Telnet cluster, that still leaves 3. And
even if we leave the mouse in, that still leaves 2.

Make a "start disk". All you really need on it are COMMAND.COM. Copy
the new auto and config files to it, boot up, and then go into CT on
the C drive. Might not make any difference anymore, but I ALWAYS put
DOS=HIGH,UMB as the first line, followed by a "himem and emm386" line,
plus a PATH statement. I'd also add Files=40 and Buffers=40 to it.

Heck, the last line of the Config.sys can be cd\c:\ct\ct filename

73
Ed