[CQ-Contest] Contesting Computer --- Feedback

K0HB K-Zero-HB at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 25 23:24:51 EST 2003

What a great collection of responses!!!  After sorting though 53 answers
(direct and over the reflectors) the answer sort of bubbled to the top, and
is blindingly obvious once I thought about it.

I've decided to keep the old Win-98 box intact for "radio stuff" and park a
new Win-XP box (2.6GHz P4, 512M memory, 120G hard drive, other toys,
USD729) alongside it and share the keyboard/monitor/mouse between the two
with a switch.

Turns out to be a win-win-win situation.

I get to keep my reliable and capable "DOS" machine with all it's serial
ports in place for amateur radio programs.

I get an up-to-date hardware platform and OS which won't huff-and-puff with
the newer non-radio applications.

I can take my sweet old deliberate time migrating non-radio stuff from the
old to new machine.

I don't need to futz around with "dual-OS" partitioning and similar heroic
measures which most likely would beget all sorts of Murphys when I
Finger-Fault it at 2359Z before the contest.

Thanks again to all who shared their thoughts on this.

73, de Hans, K0HB
---
  SOC #291
  http://www.qsl.net/soc/