[CQ-Contest] Re: CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 11, Issue 73

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Wed Nov 26 13:25:28 EST 2003

Are you suggesting is that I (KV4FZ)  operate as NP2/KV4FZ in future
contests to avoid confusion?  I am in the Virgin Islands and KV4 at
least used to be a recognized prefix for this place.  Maybe we should
have more demanding of the FCC to retain our identity.  Believe me if
Johnny Johnson, W3BE (formerly K3BNS) of the FCC's amateur Division at
the time, had arbitrarily decided to make Puerto Rico, for example, KV2
there would have been a serious revolt.  The Radio Club in Puerto Rico
has some political clout so this just would have never happened.
(Remember how they successfully lobbied the ARRL to make Desecheo a
separate DXCC entity? They did so by threatening to join the IARU as a
Puerto Rico member.)

I think many agree that the now infamous FCC call sign switching debacle
was punitive, stupid, and unnecessary.  It did not result from a request
for new rules by amateur from the bottom up but rather a single career
bureaucratic employee at 1919 M Street with a K3 X3  call who wanted to
send a message to all the 1X2 special interest call self- assignments,
some of which were ARRL bigwigs.  Rather than exposing the special
interest arrangements and take action against those self assigned calls,
he decided to deal with the problem by painting with a broad brush and
create rules that hurt all of us.  This was done without a hearing,
without a vote, and without due process.  He ended up getting his 1X2 as
the rest of hamdom enjoyed the new alphabet soup.

I promised Mr. DX  Dick Spencley, KV4AA before he died,  that I would
never let this issue just fade away.

There is a real story here of corruption, ineptness, and bureaucratic
egotism which QST will never publish.  Yet through the wonders of this
post and the internet you are finding out.

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ