[CQ-Contest] Pope's Head Road

Art Boyars art.boyars at verizon.net
Fri Oct 17 17:38:38 EDT 2003

The question: What does Pope's Head Road have to do with contesting?

Several PVRCers found this one easy (K3NA, W6UM, W3PP, and K 4 go ku dozo).
Outlanders scoring a point are K8IA, K7BG, and K2KIR.  At the risk of too
much nostalgia, here is the reply from Chas W6UM:

"Every PVRCer will know the answer to this one. Pope's head Rd. was the
mailing address of The Fabulous One, W4KFC. If anyone has old records, what
was Vic's house number on Pope's Head Rd.? And have they changed the
numbering in the
past years, so those of us who visit the area occasionally can drive by and
see his former QTH? The road on which the W3GRF station was located had all
the numbers changed for similar reasons and was even renamed. At one time
Len's
road was known as Possum Pike, but for some reason the name was changed to
Temple Hills Rd. An unwelcome victory for civic spirit over colorful
descriptive language."

And here is Bob K8IA's response to "How did you know?":

"Well Art, I go back to 1957 as a ham and he was one of my boyhood heroes.
Just happened to recall that road I guess, hi. He was one hell of an op!!
Used to hear him and W9IOP/W2IOP duke it out in SS each yr back then."

My own favorite memories of Vic are from SS CW.  He would always be VE8BB's
first QSO, and the year I operated at W3AZD's I managed to be #2.  And, I
once asked Vic "How do you get a VE4?"  His reply:  "I just point the beam
that way and call CQ until one answers."

73, Art K3KU