[CQ-Contest] Timing is everything - Secrets of the FQP # 1

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Oct 20 13:16:37 EDT 2003

I have been putting together a big station for next months CQWW CW and I
cannot imagine how it would even be feasible without computers. I am
constantly researching things on the web - buying watt meters off eBay,
and in general using the computer as a tool. It seems at times that I am
almost inconsequential and it is the machine that takes prominence with
me being a sort of aside to the process!  Kinda reminds me of how the US
economy while strengthening is not causing a major shift in unemployment
since people have gotten much more productive... so much so that others
are no longer needed!  Note to TR/RC, no mention of paradigm here.

I received the e-mail below this very morning, and it is funny since I
was about to address this very question quite soon, as it is prox 6
months until the big one - and since the contesting season starts in a
few days, well... everyone will focus on the Fall battles, but before we
jump in whole hog lets take a look see at today's pressing question from
K3FT....

> HOW many months, days, hours, minutes, seconds, until the FQP?
>
> Chuck K3FT

Well, Chuck...

Since contesting is frequently a lot about being in the right place at
the right time your question is one I find "right on point".  You see
thanks to technology and the wizardry of none other than web page
maestro and Florida Contest Group VP in charge of the FQP WD4AHZ, the
answer to your question can be found here as fast as your ISP is at:

http://www.floridaqsoparty.org

In an effort to keep the contesting community aware of when to be where
this is the Florida Contest Group's answer to the age olde question:

"How many days until the Florida QSO Party"

Be sure to add this bookmark to your favorites, and never again will you
be waiting for an e-mail from me  [ :-( ] to ensure you will be well
prepared for the April funfest we call the FQP.

Some may say I will feel a void in my existence, nope - not me - I will
just grab another burrito and hit F1!

Good Luck everyone in the coming contest Season - remember what N6TJ
said about keeping it in the chair - as the cycle goes down chair time
is harder to maintain, but if you can wait for 363 (or 364) days between
FQP's you can do 48 hours or so in the chair!

73,

Jim, K4OJ
Team W1CW

I have broken my rule of no FQP promotional e-mail until after January
1st, I know - but news as major as this just cannot stand by unadressed
and certainly a blog would have picked it up and scooped me.