[CQ-Contest] Question about CQWW rules

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Wed Oct 22 23:57:17 EDT 2003

I  don't think that is correct. While it is true that according to
DXCC rules that you can get DXCC credit for contacts made
by a guest operator who is using your call at your station, it is
not true that you can get DXCC credit for contacts made by
others using your call at a different location. If the contact is
made using your call at a location other than that shown on
your station license, you must be the operator in order for it
to count for your DXCC award. Furthermore, the DXCC rules
state that all of the contacts for a particular DXCC award must
be made from the same DXCC country (so much for calling up
JA1HQT to get VK9CD on 160).

If you read the DXCC rules, it is pretty clear that they are giving
the greenlight to operators working DX from other physical stations
provided that the contacts are made by the award applicant with
the award applicants callsign. In this sense, the DXCC program
appears to be an operator award, not a station award. Of course,
you do get credit, if a guest operator uses your callsign at your
station, so in that sense the DXCC award is a station award. They
are very explicit however, you can't call up W3LPL and say "work
him for me with my callsign, Frank". That is against the DXCC
rules (and should be).

As far as the FCC rules go, the commission appears to be
silent on the all too common practice of people using there
callsigns at other peoples stations. This is a very common
practice in contests (especially WPX), and I have yet to see
any enforcement letters from Riley calling this practice into
question. The ARRL (and others who sponsor contests)
require all entrants to follow the applicable regulations for
their country. If using your callsign from another operators
station is against the FCC rules, the contest sponsors
don't seem to know about it as I have yet to see anyone
DQ'd for what is a very common practice. One possible
rationale for this is that there is no longer a requirement to
sign portable or mobile. If I go to location X and set up my
rig, I would of course sign W4EF. If location X happens to
be the address of record for say W6UE, am I now obligated
to sign W6UE, or can I sign W4EF if I so desire? I suspect
the latter is the case.

73 de Mike, W4EF (W4EF at W6UE????).......................