[CQ-Contest] Feedback of CQWW SSB

Doug Smith W9WI w9wi at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 28 08:43:56 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 04:51, jukka.klemola at nokia.com wrote:
> -I had many stations that were seemingly deaf, although I was not low power..

I observed the same thing, on several bands.  A S9+ DX station would be
calling CQ Contest, several people (including myself running 1kw to a C3
at 20m) would answer, and he'd simply keep on CQing.  If he was off
working a 2nd radio QSO I could see this going on for one or two CQs,
but this was for more like a minute or two without him coming back to
anyone.

> --When working East Coast during our afternoon, people did
>   not behave and that took some fun away..
>     =whan saying 'N1 again', I get KA1, K1, W1 W4 calling simultaneously

I don't even bother with pileups during contests anymore.  If the DX
isn't in the Caribbean (and thus 80dB over S9<grin>), you can't figure
out who he is for all the continuous callers.

Some year I'm going to sit out this contest as far as transmitting is
concerned, and go into SWL mode.  Listen to the pileups, and write down
every call that calls out of turn at least three times.  And post them
on a webpage somewhere.

> PS.. the best comment came from Jim, SM2EKM:
> > Indeed. Another story from this weekend:
> > I came on a fq ask if QRL etc etc, after a
> > minute N4RV came and told me to move. Well
> > I told him my point of view and also said to him
> > that maybe he been away working a QSO on the
> > 2:nd radio, he did admit that that was the case
> > and said he will move....now this was a good guy!!!

Better than most, though IMHO if he wasn't there to answer when Jim
asked whether the frequency was QRL, he really had no right to ask Jim
to move at all.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66