[CQ-Contest] SO2R boxes

Larry Schimelpfenig k7sv at adelphia.net
Wed Sep 3 06:30:13 EDT 2003

The commercially produced SO2R boxes all look great, but if price is an
object and you don't need all the function, I have to agree that duplicating
the box in the "NA" manual is the way to go. It doesn't have to be
expensive, especially if one has a fair junk box as a source for connectors.
The heart of the thing is some small low voltage relays available from the
local Radio Shack for around five bucks a pop. I built mine piece by piece
until I had what suited my needs. Started with a single relay to switch
(qsk) cw keying between radios, then added ptt for ssb and rtty. I use
computer keying as well as an external keyer. I also use a sound card with
Write Log for (ugh) ssb and added MMTTY for rtty. Worked great. It was even
fun to kludge things together as I found my needs expanding!

        73 de Lar K7SV