[CQ-Contest] unique contacts and logging errors

Cqtestk4xs at aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Thu Sep 11 14:30:41 EDT 2003

In a message dated 9/11/03 4:59:43 PM Greenwich Standard Time,
k5iid at earthlink.net writes:
With all due respect to you, some of us sometime QRP
operators do have good receivers and can copy calls as wellas a big gun.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!
My point has nothing to do with operator ability or having good receivers.

I was referring to to the fact that the QRP guys, by nature of the fact their
signals are down 20 dbs simply because they are running much less power than
the guys with 1500 watts are not going to have the signal strength to attract
as many guys with their CQs.

Also, very few of the QRP guys are going to be runnning 4 bay stacked arrays,
so more db loss to the big guns.

In addition, just about all of the nr 1 QSOs I have had were from running,
not S/Ping.   With the exception of 10 meters it is pretty difficult when
working QRP to have the massive runs on the crowded bands from 160 to 15 in a major
contest such as SS or WPX.

Remember, my original post spoke of SSB contests.  The casual operator who
stops by to give a QSO when I am running 1500 watts to a 4 bay stack when I am
s-7, is barely able to hear the QRP guy and will probably not call him,
especially when the band is crowded.

The simple fact is big stations are generally going to be louder by nature of
their power and will attract more uniques.  Running more power doesn't make
them better operators anymore than running QRP makes a guy a bad operator.
High power and big antennas just generally make for more uniques.

Let's face it.  How many times have you just passed out a couple of QSOs in
some contest?  Did you call the really weak stations, or just kinda cruised the
band picking up the strong one/ones?  The weak station can have the best rx
and ears in the world but he will usually be much weaker than the big gun.

Bill K4XS