[CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Log Checking

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ab.ca
Sat Sep 20 17:54:18 EDT 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Tree wrote:

> However - the good thing about the current process is that ALL of the logs
> are subjected to the same process.  We aren't looking at one log and throwing
> out 9 QSOs, without doing the same thing to the competiting logs and making
> the same dumb mistake.  Also, the same limitaitons that prevent throwing out
> more contacts are applied to the other logs as well.

But there is an underlying presumption here that all callsigns have an
equal likelyhood of being "busted" when it's well known that this isn't
the case. Certain symbol combinations have a higher chance of causing
confusion (and thus being mis-copied) than others. Something that would
make for interesting research is an analysis of the busted calls to
generate a list showing the probability of copying error for each of the
two and three symbol group combinations.

I will be moving soon, and will have the chance of getting my initials for
my new call V[AE][0-9]LN, however I've decided not to do that. Having that
'L' after the digit results in too much similarity in the symbols for my
liking (I'm thinking primarily CW here). I have another suffix combination
in mind that creates much more contrast in the last three symbols of the
call, while still being relatively quick to rattle off (in morse, or
phonetically).

--lyndon

It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities
in our air and water that are doing it.
			-- Vice President Dan Quayle