[CQ-Contest] LoTW question

K4SB k4sb at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 30 02:38:47 EDT 2003

> In LoTW, once the log is uploaded, I don't see any way to remove our logs if we
> don't like the ARRL fee policy so the ARRL can still sell them even if an individual
> chooses to drop out of LoTW.
>
> Another thing I noticed while looking at my LoTW Certificates is that they are only
> valid for 1 year from the date of issue.  Does this leave the door open for the ARRL
> to invoke a yearly charge in the future ???
>
> This cost issue may end up being the big "Gotcha" in LoTW.
> More questions than answers !!!
> 73
> Bob, K1VU
--------------
Bob has pretty well nailed this down. But, EQSLs are worthless for any
award I am aware of.

Yet, 17.5 cents at their cheapest price may be a bargain when compared
to the postage to a DX station, + the minimum $2 usually required, not
to mention no guarantee of a card.

I may be cynical, but I predict that most major DXpeditions will not
post their logs to LOTW. Let's face it, a genuine P5 card for me would
be worth a good deal in a "donation".

Any way you put it, they have us by the proverbial balls, and I think
we're going to be squeezed, as usual.

Their idiotic rules for registering are hurting a lot of DX stations.
I simply fail to understand why a key could not be obtained by a robot
reply to the station sending the
request. After all, we do that with our reflectors.

73
Ed