[CQ-Contest] Self Spotting

Doug Smith W9WI w9wi at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 2 08:09:34 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 11:16, Tim Duffy K3LR wrote:
> This is not true, the largest DX contest has enforced packet use
> on many occasions during the past several years. A little research
> into claimed category vs. published (final results) category for
> several stations will reveal that the rules are being enforced.

Does the existence of this thread suggest that simply reclassifying the
offending stations isn't enough?

When the results come out and W9WI shows up as #4 SOA instead of #7 SO,
who except W9WI is going to notice?  OK, maybe the other top-10 entrants
in those categories.  If you were at a M/M, or you didn't place "in the
money", my bet is you aren't going to go back and compare the entries in
the top-10 boxes in the magazine against the posts on 3830.

If W9WI didn't place top 10 (a safe bet<grin>!) I've my doubts anyone
besides W9WI would even notice the reclassification.

My suggestion: that the published results include a list of who was
reclassified.
"The following entries were reclassified from SO to SO(A):
  W9WI   WB9NME"
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66