[CQ-Contest] Run vs S&P

Alan C. Zack k7acz at cox.net
Sat Apr 3 12:23:40 EST 2004

I agree with KH6DV.  If EVERYONE had to S&P then who would work who?
Everyone would just be tuning around but no one would be calling CQ
Contest so who would you work?
I am just a little pistol station and if I were to try running I could
sit there for hours and maybe never get a reply being just too weak
into the DX lands or being QRM'd by stronger running stations.
I do envy those big guns that run.  I have listened to them having
many EU stations come back to them that I could hear very well, but I
am not hearing many EU stations running and most of them can't hear me
answer.  I heard one big gun running and there were DL stations one
after another coming back to him that I could hear quite well but no
DL stations trying a run for the little pistols to answer.
I am of the impression that the Big Gun Running Stations are big time
Multi/Multi entries, and so are competing against themselves.  Little
pistol stations who S&P are not in competition with them except when
they are calling near the weak DX you want to work and they keep
covering them up.  But that is another subject..........

KH6DV at cs.com wrote:

> Why do we need "special incentive" for those who S&P vs Running?  The choice
> between the two is a tactical one. You Run when you can, when rate is
> obtainable, otherwise you S&P because either rate isn't obtainable or conditions make
> multiplier hunting advantageous.   This is a matter of strategy no matter the
> size of the station.

 Alan Zack
 Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
 Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
 Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
 SEMPER PARATUS
 http://www.gocoastguard.com/