[CQ-Contest] ANOTHER SMELLY SUBJECT

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sat Apr 3 19:51:26 EST 2004

At 01:45 PM 4/3/04, James Neiger wrote:

>While we are focused on packet mis-use and all that blather, should we also
>be interested or concerned about another smelly subject that is probably
>even more rampant?  What is that, you ask?
>
>The blatant and illegal use of super high power in contests.
>
>Is it happening? You bet it is. Some who do are even seemingly very proud of
>the fact (when I was in Slovenia for WRTC2000, one very well known European
>operator came up to me and bragged that most everyone who is competitive in
>his area were running Henry 8K's).
>
>And I've personally seen tubes in amplifiers, actually multiple of such
>tubes, capable of running 10 KW, and up.  In very well known, world
>competitive stations.
>
>Does anyone care?  Or do we just kind of wink, grin, approvingly shake our
>heads in awe, and go have another brewskie in the 7th floor Dayton suite?

I think Jim is right.  It's not hard to imagine people saying to
themselves, "I've gotta have something to make up for the advantage
[somneone] has ... let's just crank up the big amps.

I've never has personal, first-hand exposure to a "smoke" operation, but
I'm not so naive as to think they don't exist.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
is back, at www.pvrc.org