[CQ-Contest] W4AN SK

PaulKB8N at aol.com PaulKB8N at aol.com
Tue Apr 6 15:09:44 EDT 2004

I'm still trying to sort out all my feelings regarding this sad loss to the
contesting community.  I met Bill a few years ago, and spend a couple of days
with him at K5RC's QTH.  Since then, I'd had numerous long QSOs with him and
considered him a close friend.

To many of us in the "Seniors Division", Bill represented the future of ham
radio contesting.  He was fiercely competitive and highly innovative, yet
refreshingly modest and approachable.  His record of achievements was richly
complemented by his desire to help others.  I saw him glow with satisfaction after a
tough tower climb to repair Tom's 3-el 40M beam.  This very reflector where
our condolences are posted is one of the many results of his commitment to the
hobby.

I will deeply miss Bill.  I think the only therapy in this time of sadness is
to commit to bettering the hobby just as he did.

73 Bill.

Paul, K5AF

PS: May I humbly make a small suggestion?  Since Dana knows only a handful of
Bill's radio friends personally, it might be most appropriate to consolidate
condolences and offerings as a group (such as by a club or contest group) so
that Dana will not feel obligated to respond individually to many people she
does not know.  All those contributing can be identified on a card with one
person as the point of contact.