[CQ-Contest] Analysis on ASSISTED advantage vs UNASSISTED

Barry w2up at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 6 20:52:01 EDT 2004

In my mind, there is no question packet CAN help scores.  I emphasize
CAN because one must LEARN to use packet effectively.  Packet is an
operating tool, in some respects just like a second radio.

Two radio (SO2R) ops know that the first few contests they used the
second radio were very difficult. Learning how and when to use the
second radio is the key to success.  It is a learned skill, and
improves with practice.  The second radio, when used at the wrong
times, can actually negatively impact your score.  If running, it can
slow down your run rate.  If S/P'ing, it can cause much distraction
making it take more time to copy a callsign and determine if a call
is new or a dupe.

Now, go back to the above paragraph and substitute the word "packet"
for "second radio" (or "two radio.")  It's the same thing!

At first glance, most folks think it's no big deal to use packet.
Just connect to the Cluster and you know what to do.  Absolutely not!
 The key to using Packet is knowing how to balance chasing incoming
spots with running (this is my East Coast perspective, of course).
Chase too many packet spots and your QSO total, and final score, will
suffer.  Just look at the SOA score breakdowns in any major contest.
The top ops will have about twice the QSO total of the next group
down.  However, they will have almost the same number of mults.  What
does that tell you?  Too much spot chasing and not enough running.

Personally, I pretty much ignore the packet spots the first 24 hours
of the contest.  Most of the spotted mults will be gotten anyway,
without butting heads in a packet pileup.  Speaking of packet
pileups, haven't you noticed the same people beat you every time?  So
why do you insist on fighting that same battle over and over?  Just
to say you beat W3LPL in a pileup?  What about the 200 times they
(and many others) beat you?

Your next argument may be - How come the SO scores are higher than
the SOA scores all the time.  First, it's not all the time.  Just
most of the time.  For example, in the CQWW CW 2003, the top 3 SO
claimed scores were 7.8, 7.1, and 6.3. The top 3 SOA scores were 9.1,
8.2, and 7.2.  Second, it's because the SO guys usually have bigger
stations with multiple towers and monobander stacks.  Most of the SOA
guys are tribander types.

That's it for my analysis.  Moral of the story - use packet, but use
it less to help your score.
73,
Barry W2UP