[CQ-Contest] Memories of W4AN

Scott Neader KA9FOX ka9fox at qth.com
Wed Apr 7 00:38:49 EDT 2004

I heard the news Sunday night and was sure that it was some type of late
April Fool's day joke. But after a few phone calls and e-mails, the
realization that this was true started to set in.

Bill was a personal friend, one of the best contesters ever, and one of the
most Internet-savvy guys I knew. He will sure leave an empty spot in my
life, and in many other lives.

Bill and I have a lot in common... both about the same age, both have kids
around the same age, both running ham radio web sites (I run QTH.com) and
both have a love of this ham radio hobby. Um, I guess that is 'had' -- it
is very hard to talk about him in past tense.

Anyway, we would chat often, either by phone or by Instant Message. We'd
bounce new Internet ideas off each other, test & troubleshoot web pages,
talk about our kids (his are 10 & 1, mine are 7, 4 & 1), yak about ham
radio, whatever. Last Thursday, he sent me a message asking what I knew
about color laser printers. We chatted about everything. He was always
there for me, and I sure tried to be there for him.

My favorite memory of Bill was when he asked me to consider working for
him, for his start-up business "Spoke.net". I flew into Seattle in August
2000, where the office was, and spent a long weekend there. Bill had been
working so hard that he had never taken time to go do the "tourist-y"
things in Seattle. So, he and I spent a weekend doing all that stuff. Space
Needle, EMP (experience music project), Pike Place Fish Market, a great
lunch with K7SS in the Chinatown District, and dinner at a Japanese
restaurant with K7LXC & KG7GA (first time I ever had Sushi or Wasabe!). We
took a drive into the mountains and I remember when we found some snow, he
had to pull over and call home and tell his son, Graeme about it. He sure
loved his kids.

Another great memory was in May 2000, when Bill flew in for one night of
the Dayton party at Crowne Plaza. VERY late at night, after many beers, we
wound up on the 3rd floor of the hotel, by the elevators, just sitting
around and talking radio, contesting, etc. It was quite a crowd... N5KO,
K1TO, WC4E, K4OJ, N2AA, W0UA, K6NA, K5TR, plus K9NW and I. Fun, to say the
least.

What more can I add? It has already been said so well by so many... Bill
was one hell of a contester, webmaster, father and friend. He made
contesting and ham radio a better place. I will miss him, but I will NEVER
forget him.

73, my friend.

- Scott KA9FOX