[CQ-Contest] W4AN SK

Andy Blank n2nt at comcast.net
Wed Apr 7 05:56:38 EDT 2004

This has been the roughest week. I think my cellfone bill will break
records, I have talked to anyone who would listen about the loss of Bill.

I spoke to Bill on the phone exactly a week ago today. We had our typical
long conversation about this and that.
That was the thing about Bill, he loved to talk about other stuff, not just
radio. We talked about politics, family, you name it. As many have said, he
sure had his opinions, but he was usually right :)
I never in my wildest dreams imagined it would be the last time I ever spoke
to him. It still hasn't really sunk in.

Bill was driven to be the best at whatever he did. He was about the best
contester I've ever seen.
Funny thing was he didn't really understand all this radio stuff, just knew
what it took to make it work.
And make it work he did. What he didn't understand, he would ask; and make
sure he was surrounded by the right people.
And then when he figured it out, he didn't hesitate to share. He was that
kind of guy.

What really gets to me is that I feel like I have operated with him a
thousand times. The truth is I have NEVER operated with
him. We were planning on doing a multi this year in CQWW or ARRL. Now it
will never happen.

Unfortunately I cannot make the service this weekend due to a prior
commitment. I will be there in spirit however.

I repeat the words of my buddy N9RV:

> I know I speak for a lot of people when I say that I would give up a
> lifetime of
> contesting.com mailing lists just to hear the W4AN signal on the bands
> right now.
>
> RIP, Bill Fisher.

73, Andy N2NT