[CQ-Contest] SO3R or SO3RX / 2or3TX / 1SIG

Charles.Morrison at apcc.com Charles.Morrison at apcc.com
Thu Apr 8 12:59:15 EDT 2004

SO3R is more of a hardware term.
In sweepstakes, having a third complete band at your finger tips in which
to queue up a contact
is useful. In the mid-to-late 70's Randy, K5ZD tried 3R as did others. They
did it then to also save
time with transmitter tune-up. Back then, radio required you to tune-up the
tube finals in the radio,
then you could tune up the amp. There could be lots of lost time there.

When I was preparing for my last trip to K2TR for SSCW, I asked Randy about
his 3R adventures.
His reply was similar to his SS Strategy articles in NCJ : " Tune all open
bands as if it was one receiver. "

With the third radio(even just a receiver)  you're able to check more
bands, it
helps real-time strategy, reduces band changing time (less lost operating
time).
In a Multi-Single in SS , an SO3R system allows the run op to operate as an
SO2R
and the second op can RX on the 3 radio looking for new stations.

In addition, should you have any sort of failure or disruption on one , you
had two others remaining.
For a visiting guest-op, this could allow you NOT to wake the station owner
at 4AM.

One other helpful component to an enjoyable SO3R
experience................many sunspots.

Charlie N1RR
( Only two radios in the call, but three on the desk. )