[CQ-Contest] SO3R in high rate not really an option but SO2R yes

CT1BOH - José Carlos Cardoso Nunes ct1boh at sapo.pt
Fri Apr 9 22:49:59 EDT 2004

Tonno & all

A lot of people think SO2R is 2 radios RX simultaneously but...

Operating from Aruba means you are always in a pile-up situation.
SO3R is not really an option there. It can be done in some special ocasions,
like I mention in my last e-mail. But I don't think it is a real option
because the distractions it causes can be harmfull...because it hurts your
concentration and focus.
I allways like to try new things every year, and this last November I tried
to improve my concentration during every QSO. Sounds an easy thing to do,
but to keep it for 48, believe me it is not such an easy thing to do.

I have been asked a lot about my last P40E operation and the one thing I can
come up with is CONCENTRATION for every moment in the QSO

And with SO2R it is essential you concentrate. If you do not, there goes the
rate down the drain.

This last November during CQWW CW as P40E as a SOAB I had 8184 QSOs
including dupes

13 out of the 48 hours were above 200 QSOs
20 out of the 48 hours were between 150 and 200 QSOs
13 out of the 48 hours were between 100 and 150 QSOs
only 2 hours below 100 QSOs (72 and 80)

During the first day this was my rate during the following hours and also
the use done with my SO2R set-up

Time	Rate	2nd radio S&P	2nd radio moving from radio1
11	216	5 Mults		1 mult
12	224	3 mults		2 mults
13	238	0 mults		0 mults
14	223	4 mults		1 mult
15	185	1 mult		1 mult
16	230	6 mults		0 mults
17	225	5 mults		1 mult
18	237	2 mults		2 mults
19	219	2 mults		0 mults
20	172	5 mults		3 mults
21	167	5 mults		0 mults

This first day was you can see fantastic! My best ever contesting
experience!

Every QSO demands a lot of concentration. And in every QSO there are five
different moments

Moment 1
"TEST P40E"
I send my call, during this, I listen only on radio 2, looking for mults

Moment 2
Pile-up Calling
There are 2 possibilities here:

1
If the pile-up is heavy (at least 2 station calling)I focus all my attention
to radio1 to pick one full call, the first time. I don't want to mess up
with other radio but radio 1. If I don't there is a chance, I don't pick a
full call, and there goes my high rate down the drain...

2
If the pile-up is very small (just one station calling) then I can split my
attention between radio1 and radio2.

In Aruba I'm in mode 1 most of the times. If operating from the USA or EU or
JA, mode 2 is the predominant one.

Moment 3
"CALL ENNN"
I send the call I picked in the pile-up my exchange.
During this I listen only on radio 2, looking for mults.

Moment 4
CALL HIS REPORT
The call sign I picked in the pile-up sends me his exchange.
During this I listen with left ear to the exchange and I listen with right
ear on radio 2, looking for mults.
ALthoug a listen both to radio1 and radio2 in reality I can say I'am 90%
focused in Radio 2 and 10% in Radio 1.

Moment 5
"TU" or "TU P40E"
I send TU and maybe maycall.
During this, I listen only radio2, looking for mults.

And you have to keep doing this, every QSO, every minute, every hour, every
48 hours, with an absolute concentration, like in a mantra to get into deep
meditation.

So quoting from you "It is no problem to listen to 3 RX audios
simultaneously. You won't be
messing them up in your brain if you get used to it."

Indeed there is no problem to listen to 2 or 3 RX audios simultaneously. The
problem is to have that and 200 plus QSOs per hour.

So it is funny we say "SO2R", but in Aruba it means "SO2R one at a time".

;-))

73
José
CT1BOH/P40E