[CQ-Contest] Re: self-spotting

David Robbins K1TTT k1ttt at arrl.net
Wed Apr 14 17:57:17 EDT 2004

I didn't realize this one was sent to the reflector or I would have
answered it to there.

> Let's not mix apples and oranges here.
>
> The issue of self spotting is related to contests not general
operating.
> Participants claiming to be unassisted yet they get spotted repeatedly
by
> bogus calls all from the same IP and ISP seems pretty fishy to me.
>
> I don't see K1TTT spotting himself in any of the examples provided.
>
> I know that anyone that is into 6m is appreciative of anyone alerting
the
> world to a 6m opening.
>
> I have no clue what is meant by half spotting.  We the callsigns ???
Out
> protect the innocent?  If not maybe he is hoping that people will
actually
> take the time to find out who the station is on the frequency before
> hitting
> the enter button.

Those half spots with ???, as I explained in my direct reply to nick,
are obviously non-contest and are spots where either I couldn't copy the
complete call, or it was a ragchew or something where they weren't
giving a call very often and I just didn't want to wait around after I
figured out where they were.  I usually give at least enough for someone
who is interested in the country or call area (on 6m) to figure out what
is going on.

> The use of packet by an unassisted participant is not allowed either
> receiving or transmitting.  If a multiop posts himself does anyone
care or
> an assisted participant?  Is that any different than calling people on
the
> telephone or emailing people ahead of the contest and making scheds?

Actually, unsassitted ops are allowed to send spots in all the contests
I know of, as long as they don't spot themselves and don't receive the
spots.  Assisted or Multi-ops are not allowed to spot themselves in most
contests but are allowed to receive spots.  And arranging contacts by
non-amateur means during the contest is, or at least has been, different
than making skeds before the contest.

> Mike
> W0MU

Feb
> 2003
> K1TTT     50125.0 KF4???      >fn32                         1504 18
May
> 2003
> K1TTT     50125.0 W4???       el86>fn32                     1734 17
May
> 2003
> K1TTT     50125.0 W5?         em40 > fn32                   1733 20
May
> 2003
> K1TTT     50125.0 WB2???/M    el96>fn32                     1858 20
May
> 2003
> K1TTT     28460.0 ZW???       sa-042                        2105 23
May
> 2003
> K1TTT     50125.0 VE2TH?      au                            1918 29
May
> 2003
> K1TTT     50140.0 W8???       en91 > fn32 au                1945 29
May
> 2003
> K1TTT     50125.0 W7???       cm98>fn32 weak                1607 30
May
> 2003
> K1TTT     50170.0 F6???       cq north america              1843 06
Jun
> 2003
> K1TTT     50125.0 K9???                                     1607 07
Jun
> 2003
> K1TTT     28480.0 CX???                                     2154 16
Jun
> 2003
> K1TTT     28494.7 PP8MA??                                   2204 16
Jun
> 2003
> K1TTT     50125.0 KF4???      with roger beep??             1236 03
Jul
> 2003
> K1TTT     50130.0 W5/W4???    em52>fn32 faded now           1319 28
Jul
> 2003
> K1TTT     50130.0 W4???       ragchewing                    1255 10
Aug
> 2003
> K1TTT     28480.9 IV3RA?                                    1339 12
Oct
> 2003
> K1TTT     28470.0 HC5T?                                     1455 01
Nov
> 2003
> K1TTT     28085.3 DJ5??       rtty                        DL1308 08
Nov
> 2003
> K1TTT     28375.0 WB7???      id                           K2249 20
Dec
> 2003
> K1TTT     28610.0 IZ2???      in italian in qso            I1316 29
Dec
> 2003
> etc etc ....
>
> 73, Nick VK1AA
> www.qsl.net/vk1aa

203.58.1.12
> > > 27      08:41   VK2BL-@:        14108.7 VK1AA/4
203.58.1.12
> > > 27      16:48   VK2BL-@:        7024    VK1AA/4
203.58.1.12
> > > 27      17:17   VK2JBL-@:       7031    VK1AA/4
203.58.1.12

> > > an oops?  spotted fw/ with their own call from the same ip?
> > > 28      04:53   VK1AA-@:        21250   FW/AC4LN
203.58.1.12

> > > inetnum:      203.58.0.0 - 203.58.31.255
> > > descr:        Total Peripherals Group
> > > descr:        North Ryde
> > > descr:        NSW 2113
> > > country:      AU
> > >

> > > Hi David K1TTT,
> > > just stumbled upon your "self-spotting" post where you've
mentioned my
> > > call too.
> > >
> > > 1. I've made well over 100.000's since 1997 operating as VK9LX,
> > > VK9LX/9, VK9WI, H40XX, H44XX, VK1AA/2 and VK1AA/4
> > >
> > > 2. The only spot I've ever posted is for FW/AC4LN on 28 Sep 2003
> > > from my home QTH in Sydney after being specifically asked to do
so.
> > > TPG (North Ryde, Sydney)is major internet service provider
covering
> > > city of 5 million.
> > >
> > > 3. VK1AA/4 is my contest station, located 1400km north
> > > of Sydney in sugar cane fields of central Queensland.
> > > From over there, getting even half decent int. access is rather
> tricky.
> > >
> > > 4. I usually get fair bit of "help" from people who believe
> > > that spotting actually works. Personally, I hate both spotting and
> > > self-spotting. I am very old fashioned - I either call cq or S+P
> > > and have no time to waste on cluster.
> > >
> > > 5. I am not subscribed to contesting.com mailing list
> > > therefore I would appreciate should you forward this message to
the
> > > list members.
> > >
> > > Thank you for your help and CU in the contest
> > >
> > > 73 Nick Hacko, VK1AA
> > > www.qsl.net/vk1aa

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt at arrl.net