[CQ-Contest] FQP - 3 days and counting

Georgek5kg at aol.com Georgek5kg at aol.com
Tue Apr 20 22:09:44 EDT 2004

CHANGES AND REMINDERS FOR 2004 FROM DAN, K1TO

The Florida Contest Group has dedicated the 2004 FQP in memory of Jim, K4OJ.
Through his tireless promotional efforts in recent years, the word is
definitely out about the FQP.  The FQP’s success has not happened in a vacuum as we’
ve seen new state and regional QSO parties emerge and others experience
substantial growth and revision.  Please join us on the air on April 24-25, 2004 in
OJ’s memory.

and check out http://www.floridaqsoparty.org/news.html for the latest FQP
happenings. (WD4AHZ has now set up a second address – www.flqp.org – for the
Florida QSO Party web site. ed.)

Mobile categories within Florida are further delineated, to allow those
single operators without a driver to safely compete only with their counterparts
and not against single operators who do have a driver.

The FQP has its own domain now (see http://www.floridaqsoparty.org ) and the
web site has moved (thanks to Trey, N5KO, and George, K5TR, for their
behind-the-scenes support!).  The e-mail address for submitting logs has changed to
logs at floridaqsoparty.org effective this year, although submissions to
FLQSOPARTY at aol.com will still be accepted.

If you don’t use a logging program and would still like to submit an
electronic log, an on-line log entry page can be used after the contest to transpose
your paper log at http://www.b4h.net/cabforms/flqp_cab.php .

We encourage all participants to send in logs.  Your local competition in
your category is often minimal and you could win a nice certificate as a result.
Also, we love being able to verify as many of the claimed contacts as
possible.  See http://www.floridaqsoparty.org/records.html for an idea of what past
participants in your area have accomplished.

When you submit your entry, please let us know how you want the results to be
sent to you.  We will e-mail you the results if you provide an e-mail
address, otherwise we use USPS mail.  Full results are available on our web site at
http://www.floridaqsoparty.org/results.html.

Stringent log checking will continue.  It remains a high priority for us to
fully certify our winners.  Each line score reflects the number of valid QSOs.
Penalties are then subtracted before calculating the final score.  We are
working actively on a more automated solution for log processing.

A new self-service "Counties On The Air" page is now available for stations
wishing to add their County operations for the 2004 FQP.  Thanks to Pat, N8VW,
for writing the scripts and George, K5TR, for setting up the server to make
this an automated process.

The plaque program is again modified to include a few more major category
winners and eliminate a few plaques that attracted no interest.  If you or your
club would like to sponsor a plaque, the cost is $40 (An increase from $35 due
to supplier price increase and foreign postage to the DX winners).  Contact
wd4ahz at arrl.net or cqtestk4xs at aol.com for more details.

A reminder for FL stations:  PLEASE log the /CTY for mobiles to allow
multiple QSOs with them.  At least one mobile station was (unfairly) reduced for a
not-in-log contact because the other FL station did not bother to log him in the
new county, thinking it was a dupe.  Remember, it’s OK for you to work
mobiles in each county, too.

There is an informal gathering right at the end of the first operating period
at 7242 KHz.  The main goal of the on-the-air meeting is to better understand
which counties are active and which need mobile activity on Sunday.  Several
of the /m stations might alter their Sunday operating plans based upon the
needs of the "check-ins".  Use of the FQP e-mail reflector is also encouraged
during that off period, even for single ops, as long as it is not used for
setting up (illegal – ed.) QSO schedules.

73, Dan, K1TO
President, Florida Contest Group

OJ

George Wagner, K5KG