[CQ-Contest] The Rest of The Story

K0LUZ k0luz at topsusa.com
Mon Apr 26 22:10:09 EDT 2004

Since I was the replacement for K4OJ riding with Kevin N4KM for FQP, I need
to add my few cents also. First, I consider it an honor to be Jim's
replacement although I certainly wish he could have been riding along with
Kevin during the trip as they did have a very special friendship. Both
Kevin and I were touched by all the "OJ" that were in the contest and I
often thought as we moved along how Jim would have felt from all the
recognition and love that was being expressed during our latest FQP.
FQP ------ guys, it's up to us to carry Jim's great contest vision to even
higher heights in the years to come with his memory always on our minds.

http://www.topsusa.com/fcg/K4OJTribute.jpg
is a photo prior to the contest with Kevin and myself posing similar to a
photo of Kevin and Jim in last years FQP.  Kevin and I are holding the
photo.

As Kevin had mentioned,  the highlight was definitely the demise of the
hamsticks.  A photo of the mobile just after the hamsticks had met their
demise.

http://www.topsusa.com/fcg/antallgone.jpg
You'll notice the plastic mount with nothing on top of it.  A few minutes
prior to that,  there were three antennas (15, 20, 40) on the mount!

http://www.topsusa.com/fcg/K5kgguilty.jpg
Today I drove back down to Broward County looking for evidence.  I knew I
wouldn't find the hamsticks because there were cars and trucks running over
them within five seconds of hitting the highway,  but lo and behold!  Next
to the road was the remnants of the big box that had hit the antennas.  Upon
closer inspection,  I found a mailing label on the box.  When Goerge, K5KG
said he had a secret weapon,  he probably never suspected that evidence of
the weapon would remain behind at the scene and make him our number one
"Murphy" er.....  ah.....  er.....   suspect.  I'm sure he assumed that he
would completely wipe us out,  but we had our backup plan and our
Screwdriver antenna
http://www.topsusa.com/fcg/K5kgguilty.jpg
took a licking and kept on ticking.  We were hoping that the kink might work
to generate some JA qsos on 40 meters Sunday morning,  but unfortunately it
didn't work.

After we got the Screwdriver antenna stabilized,  we continued on looking
for Highway 41 in Miami.  Probably because we both had tears in our eyes,
we must have missed a sign somewhere and when we were on Highway one with a
stoplight every block and traffic jams at 2:00 in the afternoon.  When we
finally figured out where we were,  we were about 6 miles south of 41 and
had to take roads to get back to our route.  We must have lost an hour there
and thus the large number of Dade Qsos.  If anyone missed Dade,  if isn't
our fault!  Finally off on rt 41 looking for Monroe county.  Here are photos
of Kevin working in Monroe and our setup.
http://www.topsusa.com/fcg/shack.jpg
http://www.topsusa.com/fcg/n4kmop.jpg

As Kevin mentioned,  our inverter then went up in smoke (what a wonderful
day when you have the smell of burnt electronic gear in the morning!!)  We
replaced the Inverter with a heavier model in Naples but unfortunately it
also created more noise in the receiver.  For those who were calling us
Saturday night and thought we the biggest lids you have ever tried to work,
you try and copy through 10 over nine AC noise!  We knew there were people
in there,  but our laptop battery was down and we had to use inverter.  And
because we were so far behind from so many visits by K4KG er...... Murphy,
the contest ended at 10 P.M. and we were still south of Sarasota.  Location
for the night was Longwood which is North of Orlando.  We got home at about
12:30.

http://www.topsusa.com/fcg/murphyslob1.jpg
In addition to everything else,  Murphy is a major SLOB.  We were throwing
tools around.  One special moment was when we had a brand new bag of Lays
Potato Chips in the back seat that hadn't been opened and I had to lean
behind the back seat to get something not realizing that the bag was between
me and the seat.  Suddenly there was this POOOOFFFF and potato chips were
raining from everywhere.  From that point on,  when we were trying to locate
something in the back seat,  we always had a snack to look forward to.

We got to bed a little after 2:00 A.M. (working on getting rid of inverter
noise ....  and cleaning up the back seat area!) and got a clean start on
Sunday.  I think we were a little tired,  but the pileups were unbelievable
especially about 4 to 6 pm.  I think Kevin might have been slipping a /P5 at
the end of our call.  I haven't had a chance to start into the logs yet, but
hopefully tomorrow evening,  I can get some score.  At this point we have no
idea how we did.  But I do think that George's Secret Weapon did the trick.
They probably beat us,  but that's the only reason they did!!!   Hrumpt!
There is always a NEXT YEAR.

I know that Jim would have had some wonderful stories that could have been
woven from our experiences on Saturday.  I can see him smiling now and sense
the e-mails flying over the Internet. Rest in Peace Jim,  We all miss you
very much.

73
Red K0LUZ
1/2 of N4KM team.