[CQ-Contest] awesome upgrades to the 8 band vertical!!

Doug Smith W9WI w9wi at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 30 10:33:33 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 06:38, Hanlon, Steve wrote:
> should i cut the wires for 40m and 80m to the center of the band to work
> both modes or should i have dipoles for each mode for each band?

I wouldn't have separate phone and CW dipoles for the same band if
they're on the same tower.  I think you'll have interaction problems.

There are a number of ways you can go.

- Cut them for the middle of the band and use the rig's autotuner.  Some
rigs may have some trouble reaching both ends of 80 meters but I don't
*think* a 746 would be among them.

- Cut them for CW, but cut the support ropes at the end for phone.  When
operating phone, wrap the extra wire around the antenna, going back
towards the center insulator.  When operating CW, let the extra wire
droop down towards the ground.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66