[CQ-Contest] Recruiting Women into Contesting

Dale Martin kg5u at hal-pc.org
Tue Aug 3 23:20:23 EDT 2004

> I actually inquired around with some folks I know at the League,
> and as far
> as I can tell, the ARRL has never had any statistics on the
> male/female ratio
> of either ARRL members or Amateur Radio service operators at large.*  I've
> always had a feeling that way more than 2% of ham radio operators
> are female,
> but I might be wrong.

Ken,

I live in a middle-class area of Houston.  I went to QRZ.com and did a name
search using only my zip code (77089) in the search feild.

I got 108 hits.  Who knew there were so many hams in this zip code!!??

Anyway, I came up with 18 names which are definitely or may be female.  The
questionable ones are Winfred, Robin, Nondia, Billie, Marisol, Leslie,
Sheron, and Jenise.

Just out of curiosity, I tried your own zip (78759) and came up with 179
hits of which 18 names are definitely or may be female.

YMMV for other parts of the country.

73,
dale, kg5u